What is Lupus? Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease. Basically, your immune system attacks your tissues and organs. Lupus is not the same for every person that has it. There are 4 different types of lupus: systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), discoid lupus, drug-induced, and neonatal lupus. I have the most common one, SLE. Lupus can affect many different body systems such as: joints, skin, kidney, blood cells, brain, heart, and lungs. To learn more about Lupus visit: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lupus/DS00115
The main thing I want to point out and focus on is "Living with Lupus". Having this disease doesn't have to rule your world, you can still have a life. But don't get it twisted.....there are many complications and risk associated with this disease. However, there are things that you can do (that are in your control) to live your best life possible.
· Get plenty of rest
· Stay out of the sun....use lots of sunscreen
· Exercise....well, you really can't do much, but the best exercise is walking (okay...strolling)
· Quit bad habits such as smoking and drinking
· Eat plenty of healthy food....but remember to enjoy some 'good' food too! Life's too short to skip dessert. ;-)
· Drink plenty of Vitamin Water and/or take your vitamins. Especially vitamin D, calcium, and I recommend vitamin E as well. It helps with your skin and hair.
· Surround yourself with people that are 'Positive'. And most importantly, practice being positive yourself. It's good for the soul.
· Remember that there is someone in far worse shape than you...do something good for someone else. Again, it's good for the soul.
· Love being Alive! Live, Live, Live!